Tuesday 13 January 2009

Tip One - saving £208


I usually buy a Daily Mail during the week, a Guardian on a Saturday and a Mail on Sunday or Observer on a Sunday.
I have been checking out the online sites and comparing them to the actual papers.
Not only do I get the same stories but in the case of the Daily Mail they often appear on the site up to two days before they appear in the paper.
I have washed out an old pickle jar taped it up and slit a whole in the top. I plan to put the money I would normally spend on a paper in the jar.
But I'm not a total skinflint I will still buy a Sunday newspaper.
By stopping buying papers six days a week I will save £208.00 a year.

Total projected annual saving so far: £208.00
Silver lining bonus: No more trips to the recycling centre with stacks of flyaway papers.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for dropping by my blog :) Viewing newspapers online does save money. I am not sure if the Sunday paper where you are has coupons in it - but here every Sunday it is worth the cost to buy a paper because normally they are loaded with coupons! So we can subscribe to only get the Sunday paper but I swipe mine from my work haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started doing this with the national paper about 6 months ago. I do enjoy the hard copy of the weekend paper, but you're right, the articles are published earlier online!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live therefore I consume - sometimes there are coupons. Once I bought four copies of The News of the World (something I would never normally do) because it had £5.00 off your shopping at Tesco - the place I normally shop.

    The reason I wanted the Sunday papers was, as Sheila says because I like the fell of the hard copy and my aim is to live just as well on less not on nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there! I never buy newspapers now, but just read them online. Have been doing this for about 6 months now and haven't missed the papers at all. The only time I would buy one now is if I was on a train journey or suchlike (not a regular occurence).

    Good idea about saving the money in a jar too.

    ReplyDelete